Temporary files on your Windows system keeps on accumulating in different forms to help you perform different activities. These temp files accumulate in large numbers over time, occupying a lot of disk space and affecting system performance negatively. You can find a built-in utility called Disk Cleanup on Windows system to delete temp files. You can also search and delete files manually on your system. Using PC cleaner software is also useful to help you find and delete all such unnecessary files. You can follow these simple steps to find and delete all temporary files on your Windows 10, 8 or 7 systems.
Following these simple steps, you can instantly recover a lot of disk space effortlessly. It can also improve your system speed and performance significantly. Using disk cleanup tools can also help you for safe and instant deletion of temp files from your system. Let’s discuss ways to delete temp files in Windows 10, 8 and 7.
Delete Temp Files in Windows 7:
To do delete temp files in Windows 7, follow these steps.
- Go to Start menu and type %temp% in Run dialog box and press Enter.
- It will open temp folder on your system.
- Now press Ctrl + A to select all files in temp folder.
- Press Delete button on your keyboard and click Yes to confirm.
This simple process on Windows 7 will delete all temporary files instantly.
Delete Temporary Files in Windows 8:
To do delete temp files in Windows 8, follow these steps.
- Go to Start menu and search “Disk cleanup” and press enter.
- Now from the results select “Free and Disk Space by Deleting unnecessary files” option.
- Tap on the drop-down menu and select the drive (usually C, as it holds a lot of temp files).
- Here, Disk Cleanup tool will scan and calculate all temp files on your system and display all temporary files in the separate window.
- Select the files you want to delete and click on the checkbox and then press OK.
- Now click on “Delete Files” button to process.
- Here, Disk Cleanup utility will start removing all temp files from your system.
Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10:
To do delete temp files in Windows 10, follow these steps below.
- Go to Start menu > Settings.
- Under Settings click on System tab.
- Click on Storage option and then select the drive you want to clean (usually C, as it holds most of the temp files). It may be displayed as This PC on your system.
- Now click on the system drive (which stores Windows 10 OS) to open Storage Usage page. Here you will find different files & folders including temporary files.
- Click on temporary files to select it.
- Now on the disk cleanup window, tap on the checkbox next to Temporary files and then click on the Remove files button.
- Confirm it to delete all temp files instantly.
You can try another method too, to delete temp files on Windows 10. To do this, follow these steps.
- Go to Start menu and type %temp% in the search box and press Enter. (You can also open Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys)
- It will open the Temp folder containing all temporary files on the system. Select all the files & folders and click on Delete button to remove all temporary files. Wait for a while until the deletion process completes.
Note: All deleted files from the temporary folder will go to system Recycle Bin. You can keep those files in Recycle Bin folder for few days as it will help you restore them from it if your system works abnormally. Otherwise, you can go to Recycle Bin folder on your system, right-click on it and select Empty Recycle Bin option. Confirm it in the pop-up window to remove all files from Recycle Bin. It will remove temp files from Recycle Bin too.
To delete temp files on Windows 10, 8 or 7, you can also use best PC cleaner tools as well for instant and accurate results.
Author: Yogesh Sharma, is working as an SEO personnel and technical content writer for Systweak.